IAPDD is a global organization of over 200 scholars interested in the investigation of philosophical questions surrounding death and dying, including (but not limited to):
- the metaphysics of death, including personal identity, criteria for declaring death, etc.
- the possibility and/or desirability of immortality
- death as a harm or benefit
- death and life’s meaning
- reactions to death and dying (e.g., grief, ars moriendi and the ‘good death’)
- philosophical implications of death-related technologies (e.g., life extension, cryonics)
- ethical controversies related to death (suicide, organ donation, etc.)
- clinical and biomedical issues related to death and dying
- social and cultural issues related to death (death in marginalized communities, e.g.)
IAPDD’s previous conferences were held at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona in 2014; at Syracuse University in 2016; at Uppsala University in 2018; and at Deakin University in 2022.
For information about upcoming conferences, please contact us.