IAPDD is a global organization of over 60 scholars interested in the investigation of philosophical questions surrounding death and dying, including (but not limited to):
- the metaphysics of death, including personal identity, criteria for declaring death, etc.
- the possibility and/or desirability of immortality
- death as a harm or benefit
- death and life’s meaning
- reactions to death and dying (e.g., grief, ars moriendi and the ‘good death’)
- philosophical implications of death-related technologies (e.g., life extension, cryonics)
- ethical controversies related to death (suicide, organ donation, etc.)
- clinical and biomedical issues related to death and dying
We will be holding our inaugural conference in November 2014. For more information, please use the contact form above.