IAPDD will be holding its fifth biennial conference in July 2022 at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia. A number of papers have already been selected for this conference, but those interested in presenting are warmly invited to submit an abstract for the program via the form below. The deadline for abstract submission is January 13, 2022. Abstracts should be 500-750 words.
Additional details concerning travel, etc. will be available early in 2022.
Abstracts for IAPDD events may address any philosophical question(s) related to death and dying. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The Metaphysics of Death (e.g. the criterion of death; the nature of death’s harm; the subject and timing of the supposed harm of death; the asymmetry problem)
- Axiological Issues (e.g. death as a harm or a benefit)
- Emotions and Attitudes (the rationality of fear of death; the value of dwelling on mortality; courage in the face of death)
- Immortality (e.g. questions of the desirability and the possibility of immortality)
- Suicide (e.g. issues of autonomy, rationality, and morality)
- Dying (e.g. aging; dying well; facing death; the question of the need for completeness and closure)
- The Death of Others (e.g. the phenomenology and ontology of grief; the importance to us of future people)
- The Ethics of Killing (e.g. war, euthanasia, abortion, animals)
- Philosophical Implications of Death-Related Technologies (e.g. radical life extension; cryogenics)
- Social and Cultural Issues (e.g. death and dying in marginalized communities)
2022 Conference Abstract Submissions
"*" indicates required fields