We invite all interested scholars to contribute to the program of the third biennial conference of the International Association for the Philosophy of Death and Dying. The conference will be held 8-10 August 2018 on the campus of Uppsala University, Sweden.
Eric Olson, University of Sheffield
Sophie-Grace Chappell, Open University (UK)
Submission deadline: 12 January 2018
We invite submissions that address any philosophical questions related to death and dying. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The Metaphysics of Death (e.g. the criterion of death; the nature of death’s harm; the subject and timing of the supposed harm of death; the asymmetry problem)
- Axiological Issues (e.g. death as a harm or a benefit)
- Emotions and Attitudes (the rationality of fear of death; the value of dwelling on mortality)
- Immortality (e.g. questions of the desirability and the possibility of immortality)
- Suicide (e.g. issues of autonomy, rationality, and morality)
- Dying (e.g. aging; dying well; facing death; the question of the need for completeness and closure)
- The Death of Others (e.g. the phenomenology and ontology of grief; the importance to us of future people)
- The Ethics of Killing (e.g. war, euthanasia, abortion, animals)
- Philosophical Implications of Death-Related Technologies (e.g. radical life extension; cryogenics)
Abstracts should be no more than 500 words. Papers should be suitable for a 25-30 minute presentation.
Submissions for the 2018 conference are now closed. Registration information for the conference will be available in March 2018.