We invite all interested scholars to contribute to the program of the second conference of the International Association for the Philosophy of Death and Dying. The conference will be held 18-20 May 2016 on the campus of Syracuse University.
Frances Kamm (Harvard)
Shelly Kagan (Yale)
Submission deadline: November 1st, 2015
Email submissions to: [email protected] (Please put “IAPDD Submission” in the subject line)
We invite submissions that address any philosophical questions related to death and dying. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The Metaphysics of Death (e.g. criterion of death; the nature of harm involved in death; the subject of the supposed harm of death)
- Immortality (e.g. the desirability, or lack thereof, of immortality; the possibility, or lack thereof, of living an immortal life)
- Appropriate Attitudes Toward Death (e.g. Is death lamentable?)
- Axiological Issues (e.g. death as a harm or benefit)
- Applied Ethical Issues (e.g. euthanasia; organ donation)
- Philosophical Implications of Death-Related Technologies (e.g. radical life extension; cryogenics)
Abstracts should be no more than 750 words and no fewer than 500 words. Papers should be suitable for a 25-30 minute presentation. Submissions must be prepared for blind review and sent as either a PDF or Word file to [email protected]. Please put “IAPDD Submission” in the subject line. In the text of your email, please include your full name and contact information.